The Lighthouses of South Africa

If you are into Lighthouses as much as I am, you will certainly appreciate this blog entry. I have always been fascinated by the power of a lighthouse. I feel calm and very serene when I am in or even near a lighthouse.

There are a total of 56 Lighthouses located throughout South Africa. Only a portion of them are in this article.

Möwe Point Lighthouse was installed on February 5, 1979 to assist the fishing vessels with their inshore navigation. This lighthouse formed part of the assets that were handed over to the National Transport Corporation of South West Africa on July 1, 1988. It gives one flash every 20 seconds.

Terrace Bay Lighthouse was installed on February 13, 1979 to assist the fishing vessels with their inshore navigation. This lighthouse formed part of the assets that were handed over to the National Transport Corporation of South West Africa on July 1, 1988. It gives three flashes every 60 seconds.

Toscanini Lighthouse was installed in May of 1975 to assist the fishing vessels with their inshore navigation. This lighthouse formed part of the assets that were handed over to the National Transport Corporation of South West Africa on July 1, 1988. It gave two flashes every 30 seconds. The lighthouse was taken out of service in June of 1989.

Cape Cross Lighthouse was installed in November of 1955 to assist aid of navigation to a very remote part of the skeleton coast. This lighthouse formed part of the assets that were handed over to the National Transport Corporation of South West Africa on July 1, 1988. It gives one flash every 10 seconds.  This location is historical in that it is here that the Portuguese, Diago Cam erected the first padrao in Southern Africa in 1485.

Farilhao Point Lighthouse was installed on March 18, 1975 to assist the fishing vessels with their inshore navigation. This lighthouse formed part of the assets that were handed over to the National Transport Corporation of South West Africa on July 1, 1988. It gave four flashes every 60 seconds. The lighthouse was taken out of service in February of 1989.

Swakopmund Lighthouse was installed in 1903 as far as anyone knows, There are no records to actually validate this fact, so it is unconfirmed. This lighthouse was originally manned by 1 main Lighthouse keeper and five assistants. It has been unmanned since 1956. It is a masonry tower lighthouse painted red with white bands and gives two flashes every 10 seconds. This lighthouse formed part of the assets that were handed over to the National Transport Corporation of South West Africa on July 1, 1988.

Pelican Point Lighthouse was installed on June 15, 1915 and is located on the northern end of a long, low lying peninsula of a barren sand dune which forms the Western side of Walvis Bay. Walvis Bay is the main commercial harbour of Namibia. Pelican Point Lighthouse is a circular cast iron tower painted with alternating white and black bands. It gives three flashes every 20 seconds.

Dias Point Lighthouse was installed on October 1, 1910 and is located near the town of Luderitz. Dias Point lighthouse is a masonry tower painted white with a red band. This lighthouse formed part of the assets that were handed over to the National Transport Corporation of South West Africa on July 1, 1988. It gives one flash every 10 seconds.

Port Nolloth Lighthouse was installed in 1909 for the purposes of the exporting of copper from the Namaqualand copper mines located at Springbok, O’kiep and Nababeep.  The Port Nolloth Lighthouse gives one flash every 10 seconds.

Hondeklipbaai Lighthouse was installed on February 15, 1936. It is an 8 meter steel tower with a diamond shaped daymark. The Hondeklipbaai Lighthouse gives three flashes every 15 seconds and is located on the northern side of Hodeklip Bay.

Groenrivermond Lighthouse was installed on November 21, 1988 and was established to increase aid of navigation for the long stretch of the coastline on the West Coast. The lighthouse gives a single flash every 5 seconds. The Groenrivermond Lighthouse is a yellow concrete round tower with a black band.

Doringbaai Lighthouse was installed on April 2, 1963 and is located in the fishing village of Doringbaai. It is an aluminium lattice tower with a rectangular daymark. This Lighthouse links Doringbaai with the Cape Point Lighthouse enabling a monitoring and control function. The lighthouse gives two flashes every 10 seconds.

Cape St. Martin Lighthouse was installed on December 12, 1977 and is located on the south side of St. Helena Bay. The lighthouse is an aluminium lattice tower standing 10 meters with a triangular daymark. Cape St. Martin Lighthouse gives one White and one Red flash every 10 seconds.

Cape Columbine Lighthouse was installed on October 1, 1936 and this was the last manned lighthouse built on the coast of South Africa. This is a 15 meter square masonry tower painted all white. Cape Columbine Lighthouse gives one flash every 15 seconds. A total of three lightkeepers are employed at this lighthouse.

North Head Lighthouse was installed on July 12, 1939 and is located on the north side of the entrance to Saldanha Bay. The lighthouse is a 21 meter aluminium tower with a black and yellow daymark. The lighthouse gives three flashes every 20 seconds.

South Head Lighthouse was installed on December 2, 1969 and is located on the south side of the entrance to Saldanha Bay. The lighthouse is an 21 meter aluminium tower with a black and yellow daymark. The lighthouse gives four flashes every 30 seconds.

Dassen Island Lighthouse was installed on April 15, 1893 and is the most isolated lighthouses on the South African seaboard. Dassen Island Lighthouse is a 28 meter circular iron tower pained white with red bands. This lighthouse gives two flashes every 30 seconds.

Milnerton Lighthouse was installed on March 10, 1960 and is situated in a suburb of Cape Town. The lighthouse is a 21 meter cylindrical concrete tower painted all white and gives three clashes every 20 seconds.

Robben Island Lighthouse was installed on January 1, 1865 on Minto Hill which was thought to be the highest point of elevation on the island. Robben Island Lighthouse is an 18 meter circular masonry tower painted white. The lighthouse gives one occulating flash of 5 seconds every 7 seconds.

Green Point Lighthouse was installed in 1905 and is located exactly half way between Umkomaas and Scottburgh and marks the Aliwal Shoal. The structure is a 21 meter circular cast iron tower with red and white bands. The lighthouse gives two flashes every 15 seconds. This lighthouse is a very familiar site to thousands of holiday makers who travel to the Natal South Coast.

Slangkop Lighthouse was installed on March 4, 1919 and was established for making improvements to safeguard against shipwrecks along the South Coast. It is the tallest cast iron tower in South Africa. The lighthouse is a 33 meter circular iron tower painted white. It gives four flashes every 30 seconds.

Cape Point Lighthouse was installed on May 1, 1860 and is located in the Cape of Good Hope mature reserve. This lighthouse claims to have the most visitors than any other lighthouse located in South Africa. It is a 9 meter square masonry tower. Cape Point Lighthouse gives three flashes every 30 seconds.

Roman Rock Lighthouse was installed on September 16, 1861 and is located on an island rock at the entrance to the naval harbour of Simonstown in False Bay. The lighthouse is a circular cast iron structure painted white and gives one flash every 6 seconds.

Cape Hangklip Lighthouse was installed on November 25, 1960. Many visiting maintenance workers have reported seeing Leopard foot prints around the lighthouse grounds. The lighthouse is a circular concrete tower painted white with a black band. The lighthouse gives one flash every 10 seconds.

Danger Point Lighthouse was installed on January 1, 1895 to warn mariners of the dangerous reefs in the area. The lighthouse is an octagonal masonry tower painted white. The lighthouse gives three flashes every 40 seconds.

Quoin Point Lighthouse was installed on March 2, 1955. The present tower was completed in October 1990, to replace the old 21 meter structure. This is a steel lattice tower standing 21 meters with a diamond shaped daymark. The lighthouse gives two flashes every 10 seconds.

Cape Agulhas Lighthouse was installed on March 1, 1849 and is situated on the most southerly point in South Africa. I was named by the Portuguese as the Cape of Needle, because the needle of their compass behaved strangely when their ships rounded the cape. The lighthouse is a 27 meter white round tower with red bands. It gives one flash every 5 seconds.

Cape Infanta Lighthouse was installed on March 15, 1979 and is a 15 meter aluminium lattice tower. This lighthouse gives three flashes every 20 seconds and can be seen for 24 sea miles.

Ystervarkpunt Lighthouse was installed on August 4, 1964. This is a 21 meter aluminium tower that gives one flash every 10 seconds and can be seen from 24 sea miles.

Cape St. Blaize Lighthouse was installed on March 15, 1864 at Mossel Bay. This area was known as the bay of Sao Bras by the Portuguese navigators. This is a square masonry tower painted white and gives a group flashing every 15 seconds.

Cape Seal Lighthouse was installed on May 11, 1950 and is located in the Robberg reserve near Plettenberg Bay. The only way to get to the lighthouse is by a foorpath that is 5 kms through very rough and sandy terrain and also having to cross a ravine, unless you fly in via helicopter. This is one of the lighthouses with the highest elevation in South Africa which is 144 meters above sea level. The lighthouse is a 6 meter tower with a circular daymark. The lighthouse gives two flashes every 30 seconds.

Seal Point Lighthouse was installed on July 4, 1878 located at Cape St. Francis and is the tallest masonry tower lighthouse on the South African coast.  The lighthouse is a 28 meter circular masonry tower painted white and gives one flash every 5 seconds. This lighthouse was been declared a National Monument   on May 11, 1984.

Cape Recife Lighthouse was installed on April 1, 1851 and is situated on the southern point of Algoa Bay approximately seven miles from Port Elizabeth. This lighthouse warns mariners of the danger of the Thunderbolt reef and other dangers situated at the turning point of the bay. Mariners and South African ships making their trips between Cape Town and Durban are well aware of the importance of this lighthouse. It is a 24 meter octagonal masonry tower with black and white bands. It gives a fixed red and a fixed white flashing every 30 seconds.

The Hill Lighthouse, P.E., was installed and lit for the first time on June 1, 1861. It is located in the Donkin Reserve which is situated almost in the center of Port Elizabeth. The Hill Lighhouse is no longer in use and was lit for the last time on the night of October 31, 1973.

Deal Light Lighthouse was installed on November 1, 1973 and is situated near the mouth of the Papenkulis River. This lighthouse replaced the Hill Lighthouse and this lighthouse was named for one of the British Settlers who came from Deal in Kent and who settled near the outskirts of Port Elizabeth and began to make his living out of fishing. The lighthouse is a 22 meter aluminium lattice tower with a daymark. It gives one flash every 10 seconds.

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s